Do you think it still holds up?

BitesizeCrayons

Personally, if we're talking about the campaign, I will say yes without hesitation. The sense of mystery in Halo: CE has yet to be matched in another Halo game, and the atmosphere seemed darker and more threatening. As for the multiplayer, I would have to say yes and no. On one hand, it's the progenitor to the Halo formula we know and love, and there is most definitely a skill gap. On the other, the weapon balance is very wonky, and the magnum is one of the most overpowered weapons in any game. So, again, are you able to look at Halo: CE the same way you did in the original Xbox era?

The game was and still is the best from that time period.

However against modern titles I believe it still holds it own

I still love the game as much as I did when I first played it! The multi player is still great on it, and I even play every now and then. Its pretty much what I did all day when I was in school!

Nothing gave me more goosebumps than the introduction to the Flood. I didn't sleep for days!

Halo: CE is a good game, it remind's me of the 1st day's of grunt slaughter and being trolled by my uncles... good time's.

Yes and no. It holds up for nostalgia purposes, so most Halo fans will answer yes just for that reason. However, I believe Halo CE has been long outdone by newer FPS games, including the Halo sequels, of course. None of the things that made the first Halo innovative are worth even highlighting in a modern game anymore.

Sorry if this is too critical. It was a damn good game back in 2001.

I agree with the nostalgia factor, but it doesn't stand on its own anymore. It still deserves a ton of recognition for launching such a groundbreaking series, though. I wouldn't have expected so many different (successful) games from just one franchise, but they did it.

Indeed, I believe it this game hold up very well (for the singleplayer at least). I would even go so far as to say that this would rank up with my top three favorite halo games of all time. When I first played the game, I was instantly drawn in to this story of a supersoldier tryin got save the human race from this all conquering alien empire. This game's soundtrack is still better then most modern first person shooters of today, and the graphics (yes, they show the game's age) are still pretty decent.

I'm playing it at the moment, and I gotta tell you, it certainly still holds up in single player. Admittedly I'm playing in the Anniversary Edition, which has updated graphics etc, but still. That's really the only thing that I think hasn't held up all that well; the graphics. Not that surprising though.

*Starts off like Master Chief*

CORRRRRTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANAAAAAAAA *cries and drinks another beer*

The game started it all. It still has an engaging story, an overpowered handgun (I used almost everywhere) and put a sense-of-scale that was so grandiose that it still holds up today. I still even lan my original Halo with close friends.

Spartan Ops said:
Yes and no. It holds up for nostalgia purposes, so most Halo fans will answer yes just for that reason. However, I believe Halo CE has been long outdone by newer FPS games, including the Halo sequels, of course. None of the things that made the first Halo innovative are worth even highlighting in a modern game anymore.

Sorry if this is too critical. It was a damn good game back in 2001.
I definitely have to agree with this. I still love the multiplayer even, but there's no way you could call what made that game innovative impressive today. Modern gaming has definitely stepped up to the playing field in a way that I'm sure Bungie would never have seen coming when they were developing Halo CE. All in all I still love the game though. It was an underdog to me when it came out, and it's still kicking today. You don't see too much of that level of commitment for a title.

Indeed you don't. It's rare that a game made a decade+ ago is still being mentioned frequently in everyday conversation. It's a testament of the longevity of the franchise.

Status updates

The revamp is complete!
Ooops I did it again.
Please don't tell me I'm in a Ghost Town :(
So sad that Halo CE for PC is ending in a few days.
Time to start gearing up for Destiny, I guess
Back