When will Microsoft turn off the servers for Halo 4?

Spartan Ops

Given how unceremoniously Microsoft treated Halo 2 players, how long will Microsoft give Halo 4 before it flips the switch on its servers? I realize that the game just came out last year, but with Xbox 360's sunset seemingly on the horizon, it's not unlikely that M$ will kill the game sooner rather than later.

I think for as long as they support the 360. I give them 3-4 years into the new Xbox's launch. Maybe 5 years. But that's a big maybe.

It all depends if and when a newer halo comes out. Unfortunately they had to close the Halo 2 servers, and I was greatly disappointed by their decision but I guess its something that was to be expected. Let's not kid ourselves, Microsoft is a money company and Halo 2 wasn't selling anymore with the arrival of halo 3.

I'm not the biggest fan of Halo 4 but thinking about the servers closing already is jumping the gun. I say you have a good 4-5 years online before your stuck only playing the campaign.

Well, with the Xbox 360, Microsoft didn't turn off the Xbox Live servers until April 15th, 2010. Since the system came out in November 2005, that is around 5 years! Halo 2 came out November 2004, so they supported that game for almost 6 years! If they do the same thing with Halo 4, that means it won't go offline until 2018!

Did you know that Microsoft (or Bungie?) didn't turn off the Halo 2 PC servers until Feb 15th, 2013 (that's amazing!)

I personally think it's more dependent on the games being released than the consoles. In the case of Call of Duty, there were still plenty of people playing Modern Warfare pretty far into Modern Warfare 2's release. The fact that there were still a handful of people playing Halo 2 just a year or two ago says a lot about fan dedication. Still, it's mainly at Microsoft's discretion, so it's anybody's guess at this point.

Status updates

The revamp is complete!
Ooops I did it again.
Please don't tell me I'm in a Ghost Town :(
So sad that Halo CE for PC is ending in a few days.
Time to start gearing up for Destiny, I guess
Back