Will Halo remain the killer app of the Xbox?

BitesizeCrayons

The reason I feel that this question belongs here is because Halo: CE was the indisputable killer app of the Xbox. While Halo 3 was definitely a major selling point for the 360, Halo's appeal waned over time. It's still a massive franchise, but it's facing stiff competition, even on the platform it used to rule. So I pose the question: will Halo still maintain the throne on the next Xbox?

There's also the fact that the next few main series Halo games will be the end of another trilogy. While this doesn't necessarily mean that Halo is coming to a close, there's still that chance that it will. Perhaps they'll just make more side chapters after that; there are plenty of venues for that, and I'm figuring that Microsoft will keep their main IP afloat.

Still, let's run with that "what-if": if Halo ends, then what? Will the Xbox then have a mascot?

That's a tough question. No doubt about it, Halo is still a very strong series and one of the triple-A series that we have all come to keep an eye on every year, but it's competitors are stronger then ever. However, I think now that Bungie is now longer behind the captain's chair in the series development, people have started to loose faith in the series and turn to other shooters such as Call of Duty. The next generation will also introduce amazing games such as TitanFall and Ghosts so I think it will be interesting to see how Halo faires with these games.

For me it's hard to say. When Halo 4 came out, I didn't enjoy it as much as in Halo 3. I switched over to Black Ops 2 because of that. I always found that there weren't as many players playing Halo 4, there were only around 100,000 players whenever I played.

Yep, CoD is already bigger on the Xbox than Halo. I think the last Championship was great though. It was the first time a Halo stream got that many viewers in a long time so the interest is still there. They get back to core Halo and the competitive scene again and I think it will be fine.

I dunno really. I think we're too far into the life of Xbone for Halo to become the killer app. The gaming industry has changed since the days of the original Xbox, and it's not like Microsoft is pushing him exceedingly hard either.

Livvy said:
I dunno really. I think we're too far into the life of Xbone for Halo to become the killer app. The gaming industry has changed since the days of the original Xbox, and it's not like Microsoft is pushing him exceedingly hard either.
This entirely. And it's not like we've seen the last.

Also when you say the world "HALO" people immediately know you're talking about a game and not the thing above an angel's head. It's synonymous with the word FPS as much as CoD and Half-Life. Everyone mentions these all together, and for good reason.

I think whoever makes Halo has a special task in keeping up. Sure, as others have mentioned, Halo is a very big name and it's a reference when you talk FPS as much as Battlefield, Call of Duty and other major franchises.
However, I think it's not THE game to look forward to anymore. It's a bonus to have a cool FPS for your console as an exclusive, but the first Halo MADE me buy the Xbox.
Same as Zelda still makes me buy Nintendo's console, and Uncharted makes me buy Sony's.
I don't think Halo is there anymore, not quite... but it can be.

Status updates

The revamp is complete!
Ooops I did it again.
Please don't tell me I'm in a Ghost Town :(
So sad that Halo CE for PC is ending in a few days.
Time to start gearing up for Destiny, I guess
Back