Is Microsoft Surface competitive against Android tablets?

Spartan Ops

After reading a lot about the Surface, I finally made it to Best Buy last weekend and checked out the tablets in person. I looked at the Surface RT and the Surface Pro, and I'm afraid the hardware did not impress me. The units themselves are really thick when compared to the best Android tablets, such as the Asus Transformer or the Nexus 10. They keyboard also seems more like a gimmick than anything else (although it's admittedly better than on-screen touch keyboards like iPad's).

But my point is, if they can't make the hardware attractive, how can they expect to compete with Windows 8, an operating system that's not nearly as full-featured as iOS or Android, and does not have the ecosystem that either of those two OS's have?

With so much hoopla they have put out with the TV ads, I expected a more complete product. I hope the Surface brand does not go the way of the Zune.

Spartan Ops said:
With so much hoopla they have put out with the TV ads, I expected a more complete product. I hope the Surface brand does not go the way of the Zune.
More than likely. Microsoft is trying their best to stay "fresh" and relevant in the mobile market. I honestly can't stand Surface's commercials because it's a bunch of people dancing and flipping the tablet to Dubstep. Sure, it's going to make the product look "cool" but I would rather see a commercial demonstrating how better it is compared to Apple or Android tablets.

I haven't toyed with a Surface but knowing it runs Windows 8 I think I'm going to stay as far away from it as I can. I can see the Surface go down the same path as the Zune. Which is a shame because I actually liked the Zune.

Status updates

The revamp is complete!
Ooops I did it again.
Please don't tell me I'm in a Ghost Town :(
So sad that Halo CE for PC is ending in a few days.
Time to start gearing up for Destiny, I guess
Back