What ever happened to the Halo movie?

ChrisFPS

It was cancelled for a while, then revived, then cancelled again? I might have even read that Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson were involved in it at some point. Is it still happening? It would really suck if the whole idea of the Halo movie just went nowhere.

Well, good news is that it's not canceled again. But the bad news is that it's on hiatus. So take that information as you will. But not many projects are ever brought back to life after being on hiatus too long. So if you don't here anything by next year, don't expect to hear anything about it at all.

What you heard about Steven being on the film was accurate. But he got involved with some other projects that took his fancy and the movie was stalled. It wasn't just for him, there were a lot other copyright and legal clashes between Bungie and the producers.
As the poster above me said, the movie is still on a hiatus. But do not expect Steven Speilberg to return to it. I would have really liked to see his interpretation.

What you heard about Steven being on the film was accurate. But he got involved with some other projects that took his fancy and the movie was stalled. It wasn't just for him, there were a lot other copyright and legal clashes between Bungie and the producers.
As the poster above me said, the movie is still on a hiatus. But do not expect Steven Speilberg to return to it. I would have really liked to see his interpretation.

The problem is, even with Speilberg not working on it anymore. Not many people hold a candle to him in the movie industry. So many directors and producers will veer away from the project because of the "ghost" of Speilberg alone.

With the success of FUD you would think people would be all over a chance to produce a halo movie

Forward Unto Dawn was amazing. It seems to me that FUD was almost a "trial" movie so to speak. This is strictly observational, but I think that maybe they used FUD as a guinea pig to really test how popular a Halo movie would be. This would be important information because the cost of creating such a high action, high CGI movie would be immense. Because FUD did so well, and so many fans are demanding it, it seems rather likely that at some point the project will get picked up again. There is no telling how long we'll have to wait though.

Peter Jackson is signed on to be executive producer and Ron Perlman is set to be Lord Hood so it's definitely not scrapped. Greg Bryk will play Col Martin, he's been in a lot of TV shows recently and you might remember him from Saw 3D in 2010.

I love the acting of Ron Perlman, I have ever since he played a caveman in Quest for Fire back in 81. They showed the movie, minus the naughty bits, in my 3rd grade class. He's set to star in Hellboy 3 this year too.

The problem is with the script. It focuses on Master Chief and a battle vs the Covenant on Halo but gamers are already into the phase after this battle so it's not anything new to them, it revisits the old stuff we all already love. I think the studio wants a blockbuster with residual game income and so they want a more forward looking theme to the movie, to get people to want to buy the game for what's coming up, not what's already been done.

Marketing and sales, and money, stand in the way of this one but it should get done.

I haven't researched this topic for a while, but I hope it happens. More importantly, I hope they don't butcher the canon or do what the Resident Evil movies did (create their own separate canon). Halo is ripe for the big screen, and they could easily make a compelling movie while staying true to Halo's story, but I'd rather there be no movie than end up with a disaster.

As much as I would love to see this movie, I wouldn't mind if they didn't focus so much on the Great War. Maybe a badass Spartan fire team like in spartan ops, or I would even go as far as continuing FUD and follow Commander Lasky on his journey to becoming who he is.

I'm sure he had some epic battles aboard before becoming commander. wouldn't hurt to throw a little chief in there as well :)

Status updates

The revamp is complete!
Ooops I did it again.
Please don't tell me I'm in a Ghost Town :(
So sad that Halo CE for PC is ending in a few days.
Time to start gearing up for Destiny, I guess
Back