XBMC on Xbox 360

ChrisFPS

I still have my original Xbox hooked up to the TV because XBMC is still my favorite way to play local videos. All my movies and TV shows watching is done through XBMC.

For those who don't know what XBMC is, it started as a homebrew project called XBMP (Xbox Media Player) for Xbox 1 and quickly became what probably is the best homebrew app ever written for a gaming console. It had a sweet interface, fantastic compatibility with major video and audio formats and used the Xbox controller just like a regular DVD player! After a major overhaul, XBMP became XBMC (Xbox Media Center) which was an amazing leap and overall a great testament to solid project management in the project.

Because the Xbox hardware was getting outdated (it never supported 1080p and even 720p videos were almost impossible to play), the XBMC team started branching out to other platforms. That's how versions for Linux, Windows, and Apple TV appeared.

So naturally ever since the Xbox 360 launched, people have been asking when XBMC support will come to the Xbox 360. At first, the 360 was very difficult to hack, so homebew was out of the question. Then backup disc play was made possible on some models, and eventually some minimal homebrew started appearing.

It is now 2013, and the Xbox 360 is likely on its way out. How close are we to having XBMC on the 360? Has any progress been made? What are the obstacles to getting it working on a 8 year-old console? A technical explanation would be really cool.

This is something I've messed with for a while when I was setting up my home media network. For the life of me, I could NOT get XBMC to work on the 360.

I check XBMC site periodically but leave disappointed.

Status updates

The revamp is complete!
Ooops I did it again.
Please don't tell me I'm in a Ghost Town :(
So sad that Halo CE for PC is ending in a few days.
Time to start gearing up for Destiny, I guess
Back